Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cookbooks

Cookbooks can serve as another record for your ancestors, especially your female side. Churches, clubs and periodicals such as newspapers and magazines often compiled submissions from members or readers into book form as a fund-raising project. Most record the person who submitted the recipe and possible residential location when they submitted the recipe for possible inclusion into the book. In my small collection of cookbooks at home, I have a cookbook from The Wichita Beacon newspaper (1933); Capper’s Weekly newspaper (1980); the La Leche League International (1981); the Taste of Home magazine (1995); Tea: The Magazine (2006; I submitted a recipe, and it was published in the book to the left); Mary Engelbreit (2010); and several church cookbooks. Most of the church cookbooks I have were published by Cookbook Publishers, 2101 Kansas City Road, Olathe, Kansas. 
My paternal grandmother had several of her recipes published in her WOCG (Women of the Church of God) group cookbooks and I was gifted with one copy of each for Christmas. Not only that, scans of her published recipes serve as records for Grandma on Ancestry.com. And I have tangible link to rich memories of dining together when I recreate the recipes our relatives made. Mmm! 

"The stove is the shrine where I convene with my ancestors." ~ Adam Ragusea

More to Read: 
Glady's Recipes
Marie's Recipes
Poke and Grits
Tacy's Recipes

Written by Dolores J. Rush, Updated: 11/10/2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome family related questions, comments, and additional information about this post and we will try to answer your questions in a timely fashion. Thanks for stopping by!